Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Older? Yes. Wiser? Not so much....

Seven days from now it will mark the anniversary of my twenty third rotation around a big ball of fire floating in space; or, for those not accustomed to my theatrical/crazy form of speech, it will be my twenty third birthday.

Yay....

Birthdays used to mean something when I was young. When you were young a birthday meant a number of things. For me, they boiled down to three main points:

1) Pressies
2) Centre of attention for the day
3) Cake

Lately my birthdays haven't had the same amount of joy they once brought. I wake up, grunt, realise I'm another year older, and roll back to sleep. So, what makes this coming milestone a little bit better than the last ones? Well, let's look at the timespan between 21 -> 22:

-Lost my job
-From there spent 15 months unemployed, then I swallowed my pride somewhere between the second and third month, and applied for the Dole
- Felt like life and the universe was kicking me in the balls.

That pretty much summed up the year. But this year? The year from 22nd to 23rd? Well, this year has been an improvement. Let's have look:

- Six months ago I got a job. I'll admit it's not the job I saw myself doing, and it's not the job I'll want to do for the rest of my life, but it's a job. I have an income and can slowly begin to become self reliant once more.

-I finished a novel....Well, a draft of a novel that now needs some heavy editing. But the most important thing for me is that, after all these years when I kept saying I was going to write one, I did. I have actually accomplished something I set myself to do in the last five years.

-New People. Going to Holmesglen Tafe and meeting some of the greatest teachers, people, writers, and most importantly, friends. You guys (and gals) have made this year awesome. In fact my friend, Rhiannon, was the catalyst from my transition to sitting alone in my room feeling like a loser -> feeling that things are getting better.

15 months ago the conversation went along the lines like this (from what I remember):
R: Hey, George, you've always wanted to write a book. You should do this course I'm doing.
G: (feeling sorry for myself and can't be bothered arguing) What is it?
R: (Hands pamphelt) Professional Writing and Editing. You should apply
G: When is the date to apply?
R: (pause) Today's the last day.
G: (contemplates and figures he has nothing to lose) Meh, why not. Let me put on some shoes...

And from there things started to get better.

....Right, I think there's suppose to be a moral in there somewhere
*plays some thinking music*
Meh, you have your good years, you have your bad years. What matters is you forget the previous year and focus on the new year.

So, goals for turning 24.
Hmm....
1) Get a book published, or on the way of getting it published
2) Get a tattoo...or at least an idea for a tattoo
3) Travel somewhere, interstate or overseas
4) Meet more kick-ass people who can put up with my crazyness

Yeah...that'll do.

To another year!

1 comment:

  1. Love it, George! I'm forever having age related crisis, but hey, it just keeps getting better!

    XX

    ReplyDelete