Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spark

So, I've been hearing voices in my head lately.

Not the kind of voices that make people shuffle away nervously from me while averting their gazes, but the kind that I would like to believe every writer hear. Let me explain.
.
Last week in my novel class I was asked by the teacher whether my novel was in the first or third person. For those of you who don't know, the first person is from the main character's point of view, while the third person  narrates everything in the scene. Well, maybe not the best explantion, but I'm pressed for time.
Anyway, for my new project I decided to go with the first person perspective, and when asked why I replied, 'because that's how the voice in my head sounds like.'

Now, admittedly this got a few giggles and wry looks, but let me explain via writing what my mouth couldn't. For those of you who know me personally, you know that I have difficulty trying to say everything that is on my mind and most of my sentences come out in one, long gibberish mess that would make the Di Vinci code look like a child's plaything. It's like there's a path missing between my brain and tongue and the words are the first casualty.

Anyway, back to the voice. I'm not sure what other writers think, but this is what I believe; a story comes to you via a voice. Whether it be the dark, moody tone of a thug, the cheerful, happy-go-lucky child, or the sarcastic, but loveable rouge, you'll be sitting alone doing nothing when this voice starts talking to you. For me, it's almost like the person is sitting right across from me and we're chatting about what he/she has been up to lately.

For my latest project, my character -who I haven't decided on the name yet-, started with the words, 'To the best of my knowledge, it's been one hundred and thirty seven days since it started.' I paused on whatever it was that I was doing and listened. Then, from somewhere in my mind, he began to form his story. From pure nothingness he spoke to me and I rushed to my computer to type what he was saying. I wasn't writing the story, I was just the medium for this voice to tell his tale.

And I think every first person story begins like that. Whether it be pure fantasy, or a hard hitting crime novel, us writers are the mediums for these voices. Which bring me to my next point; the third person perspective.

I've always preffered to think of the third person voice as just another voice. It's like being on the train and listening to someone else tell their story. The third person voice is a voice like any other character, albiet an omniprescent god-like figure. From here it's like being behind the camera directing a movie. You can choose the angles you want to focus on, the detail in the picture whether you want to focus on the broad, free roaming plainlands of your fantasy world, or the grimy cup of coffee in the sink that reminds the hero/heroine of their loved one.

Sometimes I wonder if the person who I really am is just a character inhabting this physical shell. It also makes sense why most writers are either slightly loopy like I am or just very introvert. With all these voices clamouring against each other to be heard, it leaves little time to be alone. And it's hard to give each voice the justice that they deserve.

But I do know one thing. No matter how alone I will ever get, the imaginary characters and their stories that pop into my mind will always keep my company. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Lately my spark for writing has diminished, but I feel it starting to shine once more. Maybe one of these voices will fan the flame into something bright, and together we can acheive something great.

-George

P.S As I re-read this and contemplate if I should do some editing, I also realise there's a path missing between brain and fingers. Yet I hope you were able to fathom some idea of what I'm trying to say.

1 comment:

  1. I've frequently thought, as a writer, that I don't feel like a creator at all. It feels more like archaeology. If I change plot or character details, it's almost like I haven't changed anything at all. As if they always were like that and it just happens that I, the storyteller, only just realised that's how it all actually happened.

    ReplyDelete